Wednesday, July 18, 2012

10 Frisk Commandments

Normality is part of the immense divide between what we know as white Americans and what we know as black or brown Americans. We base our assumptions in how things are. As a white American who has traveled between multiple class and economic levels I know that the way things are looks completely different based on where you are standing.  I have had the honor of multiple perspectives. One I will never have is being a multi-generational non-white American. I don't have to teach my children how to minimize opportunities for the police to kill them. I don't have to worry that my child, if missing, will not be important. The experiences of Trayvon Martin's parents in the terrible hours between missing and murdered will not be mine. There are many experiences I am grateful that my privilege shields me from. One of those is being unable to walk in my own neighborhood without police inspection. While stop and frisk does happen in poor white communities it is not official policy. Because we have the social power not to stand for it. The rest of America does not. Celebrate your privilege by watching the 10 Frisk Commandments. Get a new perspective.




No comments:

Post a Comment