Monday, July 9, 2012

Tothiro Weighs In

Hi.  Me here.
I'm going to own up to some racism right here: I am an adult white man and I'm nicer to small black children.

Any social situation, and all other things being equal - if you are a small black child at a social function, a party, buying ice-cream cones, waiting in line at the toy store, hiding behind mom or dad's leg while bored during shopping?  My smile when you look over at me will be extra genuine, and as affirming, approving and non threatening as I can muster. 
Why?  Because I live in America, and I know the world of shit you are about to get or are already getting.  The entire society needs you to see crusty old white folk that are not jackasses, so make all the racecar noises you want.
7 year old speaking Spanish?  Hell you too.
Here are things I know: 
Many White Americans spend much of their time not noticing they are white, because they spend an equal amount of their time not wondering why the Cops just kicked their door in and retroactively brought temporary charges against them to justify that act when it was actually their neighbor's address on the warrant all along...
White Americans who do not understand that they are White Americans have tried pulling me into their collective thought process while ignoring my stated facts of protest. 
If and when these facts do get through...
(Oh you mean you weren't aware a for-profit prison system is institutionalized slavery? Take a look at Alabama's Death Row conviction rates versus the percentage that black on white crimes makes up of total white deaths.  Oh you didn't know that the laws were different according to skin color and socio-economic status, the latter of which is largely a net result of the first?  Oh you can't imagine a scenario in which a White homeowner would be shot dead in his driveway by police because his car that he was locking was too expensive to really be his?  Neither can I.) 
...one of two things typically happens:  
1) Those facts must be false, because they are not racist in their thought process, daily actions, or whole of societal conditioning, so they will just ignore them and stop thinking before they accidentally do it critically.  Which is bullshit.  Or...
2) I am just trying to depress them.  YES.  ABSOLUTELY, YES.  Aiyanna Jones, Oscar Grant, Rekia Boyd, Kenneth Chamberlain and an indefensible number of other people were put on this earth to be murdered by White Authority expressly to depress you.  They are Magic Dead Negros sent to bum you out.  Way to objectify their life into a consumable you can choose to dislike, bro.  Congratulations on identifying that a protestation over "feeling bummed out" is the only human, decent action appropriate to the news that when the large majority of White Americans turn on the News and hear "POC shot/killed/arrested" they say to themselves, "Huh.  I guess nothing's happening." 
You Blithely Racist Fuck.

Then this link to this outdated (since 1960) article in which the GQ author wants to collect friendly POC like they're goddamn Pokemon.

See the internet makes me sound angry. 
Truth is I like ice-cream, giant robots, deep sea creatures, dinosaurs, super furry animal things, and things that can be made into parachutes... 
I don't like people distancing themselves from their privilege or ignoring that it exists, because that shit kills people dead that deserved to not be dead.

I don't "talk to people as if they are normal" because they are fucking normal.  Everyone is.   What is this... Pretty Woman?

So I'm friendlier, and I'm more helpful, and I try to listen more if you're darker skinned than I am.  Because I'm racist... And some might argue that it's not racism at all - that it's a response to practical realism, cynicism, whatever...  There might be a lot of different arguments, many based on my intentions.  That's worse.  It isn't White Nobility Savior Bullshit.  It's that I know sometime soon, their day is going to suck because of the color of their skin and because of how the privilege of this culture is handed out.

It's prejudiced, sure, but it's also Racist, with a big R, because 1) I am looking at them and ascribing a defined value which is other and 2) as a White American I can be reasonably certain the cultural deck is stacked in my favor.  Always.
Just because I'm not wanting to light anything up on anyone's lawn does not detract from the fact that there is a little kid in my head, as Baldwin might say.  That I am in a position of trying to non-verbally communicate my authorization of them as an individual means that it could be nothing but Racist.

So hi, I'm Racist, and I try to own that.  I know other White Folk are too, and since so few of them are going to own up to it I am not about to forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment